Dress Code 2023-2024
Dance is an art that requires great precision. We provide professional instruction and the instructor must be able to see the lines of the body in order to provide correction. Students are expected to wear proper dance attire to every class. No jewelry is permitted with the exception of stud earrings. Dress code is as follows:
- PreDance Combo: Identifying females: Black or pink leotard (no tutus or skirts, please), pink tights, pink ballet shoes, black lace-up oxford tap shoe. Identifying males: Black close-fitting dance pants, gym shorts, or dance tights, a white or black T-shirt or tank top, black ballet shoes and black lace-up oxford tap shoes. All dancer’s hair should be worn in a ponytail or away from the face.
- Ballet & Pointe: Identifying females: Plain black leotard, pink convertible tights, pink canvas split-sole ballet shoes. Females in need should wear a nude dance undergarment and/or a dance bra as needed. Company girls may wear a solid black or white skirt or leg warmers at the dance instructor’s discretion. If necessary, pointe shoes as specified and approved by the instructor. Hair must be worn in a bun, French twist or other secured style to every class. Identifying males in Intro to Ballet, Ballet A, Ballet B: Black close-fitting dance pants, gym shorts, or dance tights, a white or black T-shirt or tank top, and white or black ballet shoes. Identifying males in Ballet C and above: Black/gray dance bike shorts or dance tights, white/black dance leotard/top, and white, black or nude ballet shoes (nude with shorts).
- Jazz/Musical Theatre: Identifying females: A leotard with pink, black, or tan convertible tights, tan split-sole jazz shoe. Hair must be tied completely off the neck and shoulders and away from the face. Identifying males: Close fitting shorts or pants, a close-fitting T-shirt or tank top, and tan split-sole jazz shoes.
- Tap: Identifying females: All tap students from Pre Dance Combo to Advanced Tap, a leotard with pink, black, or tan convertible tights, and black oxford lace up tap shoe (no split sole tap shoes). Hair must be tied completely off the neck and shoulders and away from the face. Jazz pants, leggings, or shorts are allowed with instructor approval. Street clothes such as jeans or jean shorts are not allowed. Identifying males: Close fitting shorts or pants, a close fitting T-shirt or tank top, and black oxford lace up tap shoes (no split sole tap shoes). Street clothes such as jeans or jean shorts are not allowed.
- Modern/Lyrical/Contemporary: Identifying females: A leotard, pink, black, or tan convertible tights. Shoes for lyrical at instructor discretion; modern class is barefoot; contemporary at instructor discretion. Hair must be tied completely off the neck and shoulders and away from the face. Identifying males: Close fitting shorts or pants, a close fitting shirt, and lyrical shoes at the instructor discretion; modern class is barefoot.
- Hip Hop: Identifying females/males: Comfortable clothes that are appropriate to dance in, such as sweat pants, leggings, gym shorts, t-shirts, tank tops. (Your shirt must be able to tuck in for tricks, no crop tops or bra tops, and no skirts or booty shorts). Hair must be completely tied off the neck and shoulders and away from the face. Black split sole jazz sneaker or black Pastry hip hop sneaker. No jeans/jean shorts and no sneakers worn outside are permitted on the studio floor.
Hair MUST be up and off your neck for ALL classes. Absolutely NO jewelry, watches, Fitbits, etc. Where noted, class attire is a leotard and tights. There are no shirts, shorts, skirts, pants or leg warmers unless approved by the teacher before the class begins. The studio gets warm, so please dress accordingly. Baggy sweatshirts are NOT permitted in any class.
For all of your dance attire needs we recommend Ms. Dancewear in Mohegan Lake 914-526-8380.