New Dress Code 2021-2022
Dance is an art that requires great precision. We provide professional instruction and it is extremely important for the instructor to be able to see the lines of the body in order to provide correction. Students are expected to wear proper dance attire to every class. No jewelry is permitted with the exception of stud earrings. Dress code is as follows:
- Tutu & Tumble: Girls: Black or pink leotard (no tutus or skirts, please), pink tights, and pink ballet shoes. Boys: Black close-fitting dance pants, gym shorts, or dance tights, a white or black T-shirt or tank top, and black ballet shoes.
- Ballet & Pointe: Girls: The Wear Moi leotards listed below by the class color assigned on the schedule (we are no longer using black leotards unless you are in Intermediate or Senior Repertory Company), pink tights, pink canvas split-sole ballet shoes. Females in need should wear a nude dance undergarment. Senior Company girls may wear a skirt or leg warmers at the dance instructor’s discretion. If necessary, pointe shoes as specified and approved by the instructor. Hair must be worn in a bun to every class. Boys in Intro to Ballet, Ballet A, Ballet B: Black close-fitting dance pants, gym shorts, or dance tights, a white or black T-shirt or tank top, and white or black ballet shoes. Boys in Ballet C and above: Black/gray dance bike shorts or dance tights, white/black dance leotard/top, and white, black or nude ballet shoes (nude with shorts).
- Jazz/Musical Theatre: Girls: A leotard with pink, black, or tan tights, tan split-sole jazz shoe. Hair must be tied completely off the neck and shoulders and away from the face. Boys: Close fitting shorts or pants, a close-fitting T-shirt or tank top, and tan split-sole jazz shoes.
- Tap: Girls: All tap students from Tapping Toes to Advanced Tap, a leotard with pink, black, or tan tights, and black oxford lace up tap shoe. Hair must be tied completely off the neck and shoulders and away from the face. Jazz pants, leggings, or shorts are allowed with instructor approval. Boys: Close fitting shorts or pants, a close fitting T-shirt or tank top, and black oxford lace up tap shoes.
- Modern/Lyrical/Contemporary: Girls: A leotard, pink, black, or tan convertible tights. Shoes for lyrical at instructor discretion; modern class is barefoot; contemporary at instructor discretion. Hair must be tied completely off the neck and shoulders and away from the face. Boys: Close fitting shorts or pants, a close fitting shirt, and lyrical shoes at the instructor discretion; modern class is barefoot.
- Hip Hop: Girls/Boys: Comfortable clothes that are appropriate to dance in, such as sweat pants, leggings, gym shorts, t-shirts, tank tops. (Your shirt must be able to tuck in for tricks, no crop tops or bra tops, and no skirts or booty shorts). Hair must be completely tied off the neck and shoulders and away from the face. Black split sole jazz sneaker or black Pastry hip hop sneaker. No jeans and no sneakers worn outside are permitted on the studio floor.
Hair MUST be up and off your neck for ALL classes. Absolutely NO jewelry, watches, Fitbits, etc. Where noted, class attire is a leotard and tights. There are no shirts, shorts, trash bag pants, skirts, pants or leg warmers unless approved by the teacher before the class begins.
For all of your dance attire needs, please call Wear Moi’s Chicago store at 773-850-3119 or visit www.wearmoi.us/en/(under Collections go to Uniforms Girls) or Ms. Dancewear in Mohegan Lake.
Ballet and Pointe Girls
Leotard style: Coralie (short sleeve leotard)
Faustine (tank leotard)
Abbie (camisole leotard)
Leotard Colors: Intro to Ballet – Peach
Ballet A – Burgundy
Ballet B – Mint
Ballet C – Lilac
Ballet D & Intermediate 1 – Royal Blue
Intermediate 2 – Light Grey
Advanced – Red